David Ausher (he/him) is a Registered Therapeutic Counsellor (RTC) #2957 with the Association of Cooperative Counselling Therapists of Canada.
I am a therapist who has dedicated my life to assisting individuals with their life struggles. I understand what it is like to feel lost and like your life is in turmoil. Many years ago I set out to better understand who I was and why I felt the way I did. My own personal journey of self-discovery yielded some new truths for me:
- I am not alone.
- The more I understand about myself, the more alive I feel.
- Healing (change) is possible.
My goal is to create a safe environment where clients can explore—to have a deeper understanding of themselves, cultivate new skills and create the positive changes they envision for themselves.
Areas of counselling expertise
- Anxiety (racing thoughts, excessive worry, stress)
- Depression (lack of motivation, loss of interest in life and connections)
- Life transitions (Career, Divorce/Separation, Relocations)
- Personal Identity (Who am I? What am I here for?)
- Psychedelic Integration (to process post treatment experiences)
Therapy modalities David uses in his counselling practice
David utilizes an integrative approach drawing upon the modality that is most suited for his client and their needs. Primarily, David uses the following approaches:
This approach seeks to facilitate a client’s intrinsic ability to heal and grow, and trust that healing can occur in the presence of healthy connection with a therapist.
Family Systems Therapy
This approach is rooted in the premise that human behaviour is derived from seeing the family as an emotional unit. We are impacted by the way we were raised and our family relationships. To understand ourselves, we need to understand our family system and our role in it.
Gestalt therapy places emphasis on gaining awareness of the present moment and the present context. Through therapy, people learn to discover feelings that may have been suppressed or masked by other feelings and to accept and trust their emotions. Needs and emotions that were previously suppressed or unacknowledged are likely to surface as well. Through this process, a person gains a new sense of self as overall awareness increases.
Personal qualities / strengths as a counsellor
I hold the belief that change is possible for everyone. We can heal and move forward and learn to connect better with ourselves and others.
I am open-minded and genuinely curious about the human beings I have the privilege to support. It is a gift to hear each person who sits with me tell their story in their own words, to hear their strengths and abilities on their journey through life. All of you is welcome.
Education and professional development
- Transpersonal Therapeutic Counselling Diploma, Clearmind International, 2020
- Indigenous Wellness and Addictions Prevention Diploma, Canadore College/Six Nations Polytechnic, 2020
- Compassionate Inquiry with Dr. Gabor Mate, 2017
- Addicted Brain with Dr. James Cullen, Ph. D, RSW, 2019
- Creating Sacred Spaces: Mind-Body-Spirit Connection in Psychotherapy, Dr Gabor Mate, 2018
- Microdosing to Mystical Experiences, Sidney Smith Hall, University of Toronto, 2018
- Mapping the Mind: Toronto Psychedelic Science Conference, University of Toronto, 2019