Rilla is a member of the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors (#16900), completing the Masters of Education in Counselling Program at the University of Northern British Columbia in 2019.
As a counsellor, I’m focused on supporting clients with a variety of personal challenges and general mental health concerns using a person-centered and trauma informed approach. I have a special interest in supporting individuals struggling with disordered/emotional eating, body image and self esteem issues. Alongside my counselling practice, I have been working in the mental health field as a Registered Dietitian for over six years, specializing in eating disorders.
It has been amazing to bear witness to my clients’ stories of transformation. This led me to pursue a career in counselling where I can more holistically support clients on their path in life and walk alongside them in their journey to personal discovery and growth.
It is an absolute honor to do this work in supporting people to live richer and fuller lives. The opportunity to decrease suffering or help improve someone’s quality of life is such a privilege, and it is so rewarding to bear witness to my clients’ incredible stories of strength and resilience.
Areas of counselling expertise
- Disordered eating
- Body image
- Self esteem issues
Personal qualities / strengths as a counsellor
I am focused on creating a safe space for my clients to feel heard and seen. I strongly believe in the power of the therapeutic relationship, believing that self exploration and personal growth can happen through connection that is compassionate, respectful and accepting.
Education and professional development
- Masters of Education in Counselling, UNBC, 2019
- Integrated Dietetic Internship, St Francis Xavier University, 2013
- Bachelor of Science in Human Nutrition, St Francis Xavier University, 2012
Other professional development programs or activities
- Lifespan Integration Therapy training, 2020
- Emotion Focused Family Therapy Level One and Two, 2019
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Level One Training, 2019
- ASIST Suicide First Aid Certification, 2018
- Suicide to Hope Training Certification, 2017
- Craving Change Program Clinician Certification, 2015
- Motivational Interviewing Training Level One Certification, 2014
- Trauma Informed Practice Training, 2013
- Indigenous Cultural Competency Training, 2013