Dave Scully (He/Him) is a Registered Clinical Social Worker (#10020) with the BC Association of Social Workers and holds a Masters in Social Work from the University of Maine.
I have almost 25 years of experience in working in the mental health field with a wide variety of issues. My experience has taught me that people who deal with trauma and anxiety (or other mood disorders) often feel a sense of shame about the ways in which they think, feel and behave. I help clients to understand more about what is happening in their bodies, overcome their sense of shame and become more empowered to help themselves heal. Depending on the severity of the presenting issues, clients often report significant relief, feel more in control of their lives, more self compassion and greater happiness.
I was originally trained as a family therapist and have extensive experience working with teens and families. I especially enjoy helping teens or young adults work to sort through the challenges many face at those ages, whether with relationships, or in facing the obstacles of life as they move toward independence. Being a teenager is hard, and so is parenting one. I am here to help.
Areas of counselling expertise
- Anxiety (Racing thoughts, excessive worry, stress)
- Depression (Lack of motivation, loss of interest in life and connections)
- Life transitions (Career, Divorce/Separation, Relocations)
- Trauma (PTSD, Injured Workers, Sexual Abuse)
- Emotional Dysregulation. (Anger, Shutdown, Easily Triggered)
- Teens (Self Harm, Adolescent Trauma, Family Counselling)
- Elder Support (Caregiver Strain, Dementia, dealing with emotions of aging family members)
Therapy modalities Dave uses in his counselling practice
I employ various modalities, such as EMDR, somatic therapies, cognitive behavioural therapy, narrative therapy, dialectical behavioural therapy, all within a trauma-informed practice lens.
The type of modality chosen is tailored to meet the needs of each client. My goal is to create a safe and compassionate space that allows clients to freely express themselves and their struggles. I help clients with the education and tools they need to understand what is happening in their minds and bodies so that they experience more peace and freedom to be themselves.
Personal qualities / strengths as a counsellor
I am a curious and direct counsellor who works well with clients who are goal oriented and looking to tap into their resilience and make changes in their lives.
I chose this work as part of my core belief of trying to make the world a better, more compassionate, and human-centered place. I come from a family of helpers and healers and felt a call to work with those who are struggling to find their own voices.
With me, you get a bright, compassionate advocate. A good listener, who wants to help you sort through the difficulties of your life so that you feel happier or more in control of your body, your mood, your relationships, or whatever area of your life will help you feel more like yourself.
Education and professional development
- Master of Social Work (University of Maine)
- Bachelor of Environmental Studies
- Certified Drug and Alcohol Counsellor
- The Evolution of Psychotherapy, 4 day conference 2020
- Somatic Experiencing, Level 1 Beginner training
- Treating First-Responders and Military with EMDR Therapy
- Foundations for Effective EMDR Treatment
- Brief Therapy for Anxiety, Depression, and Trauma
- EMDR Intensive Training
- The Evolution of Psychotherapy, 4 day conference 2017
- Treatment of Sexual Abuse Survivors
- San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety/Mental Health online training
- Geriatric Giants and Dementia Care
- Palliative Care Essentials
- Certified as Qualified Health Care Provider, (to provide adult capacity assessments) Ministry of Health, B.C.
- Vulnerable Adult/Adult Guardianship
- Working with Sexual Minorities
- Assessing Mental Status
- Professional Boundaries in Mental Health Practice
- Patient Confidentiality and HIPPA Ethics Training
- Clinical Case Formulation/Diagnosis
- Treating Adolescent Trauma
- Sexually Reactive Clients
- Self-Injury Treatment
- Treating Marijuana Dependence
- Depression and CBT in Addictions Treatment
- Addiction Pharmacology course
- Clinical Supervision Skills in Behavioral Health
Dave Scully, RCSW