Julia Fixsen (she/her) is a Registered Therapeutic Counsellor (#3132) with the Association of Cooperative Counselling Therapists, a Counselling Hypnotherapist (#199) with International Association of Counselling Hypnotherapists and a Solution Focused Coach.
Through my experience and training, I have come to know that all people need a place where they can feel heard and supported. I offer a kind, compassionate, inclusive space for you along your counselling journey. I help my clients heal from trauma, repair relationships, and find a deeper and more meaningful connection to their lives.
When you work with me, you will learn how to identify and manage your emotions and understand how this affects your body. Often when clients have experienced trauma and feel strong emotions like anxiety, depression, and anger, they tend to disconnect from their bodies as a way of escaping the pain they are feeling. I help my clients to understand what is happening in their body, how that is directly related to their emotions and how this shows up in their relationships with themselves and others. Through this awareness, my clients are able to identify their unhealthy patterns and coping mechanisms, have more self-compassion, and a greater sense of peace. They feel more empowered to move forward in their lives as their relationships improve and they rediscover their own wisdom for healing and growth.
Areas of counselling expertise
- Anxiety (General Anxiety, Worry, Perfectionism)
- Depression (Feeling stuck, Loss of interest in life, Sadness)
- Couples (Relationship Skills, Communication, Managing Conflict, Increased Intimacy)
- Trauma (Abuse, First Responders, Loss)
- Partners of First Responders (Unique Challenges, Stress, Worry, Relationships)
- Teens (Trauma, Self-harm, Disordered Eating, Anxiety, Depression)
- Chronic Illness (Pain, Medical Trauma, Depression, Isolation, Anxiety)
- I also have a special interest in working with disordered eating recovery, body confidence, self-esteem, body image, self-acceptance.
Therapy modalities Julia uses in her counselling practice
My counselling approach is trauma informed and client centered. Through mindfulness and with a strength-based lens, my goal is to help you find relief from your distress and gain new tools to achieve the results you desire personally and relationally.
In individual counselling, I use a trauma informed, integrative approach that draws on many modalities that are uniquely suited to the needs of each individual client, which include:
- Somatic Awareness
- Emotion Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Narrative Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
- Solution Focused Therapy
As a couples counsellor, I am trained in both Gottman Method Therapy and Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT). Here we will explore your unique relationship patterns so that you can increase your closeness and intimacy. I create a safe space for couples to learn effective communication tools, develop deeper connections and manage their conflicts with compassion. After working with me, couples clients report more joy and ease and a renewed commitment to the quality of their relationship. Couples rebuild trust, become emotionally closer and are able to handle difficult situations together.
Personal qualities / strengths as a counsellor
I believe that you have the capacity and ability to heal and grow from whatever you have experienced in life. I accept all parts of you, body, mind and spirit, and I have seen the best results with my clients when we address their whole self. It’s important to me to create a non-judgemental welcoming space for you to share your story while feeling supported so that you can tap into your inner strength and resources.
I love to learn and I regularly deepen my skills through continuing education so that I can support my clients better. I am compassionate, authentic and I love a good laugh. I feel so grateful to witness the growth and healing of my clients and I’m honoured that they have allowed me to be part of their journey.
Education and professional development
- Counselling Therapist Diploma, Vancouver Orca Institute
- Complex Trauma Certification Training, Dr Arielle Schwartz
- EFT: Attachment-Based interventions for Couples in Crisis, Dr Sue Johnson
- Gottman Method Level 1 & 2
- Somatic Attachment Therapy Certification, Embody Lab
- Somatic Experiencing Beginning Level 1
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional (CCTP)
- Eating Disorder Sensitive, BodyPeace
- Certified Dialectical Behavior Therapy Training – current
- Occupational Awareness Training for First Responders, First Responder Behavioral Health
- Clinical Applications of Polyvagal Theory in Trauma Treatment, Deb Dana and Stephen Porges
- Working with Military/First Responders Populations, Doug Allen- Somatic Experiencing
- Hypnotherapy with Age Regression
- Advanced Hypnosis Program
- Counselling Hypnotherapist Diploma, Vancouver Orca Institute
- 200 hr Meditation Teacher Certification, The Veda Center
- Expanding Emotional Intelligence, Erickson International College
- Stress Management Coaching Certificate
- Solution Focused Coach Certification, Erickson International College